ottobre 10, 2011

London, interview & new contract :)

Hello, fellow writers and authors :)

So I left warm and sunny Italy behind, and I'm now all settled back in London. I'm two weeks into my last semester of uni, and I'm still not quite freaking out about exams, final project and life after graduation... not yet! I've been catching up with friends and meeting new ones, and had a wander around Camden, which never fails to cheer me up when I'm homesick. I also may have purchased a lovely pair of Indian earrings and had a plate of my beloved Camden Town sweet n' sour chicken noodles :)

I've also recently signed another contract, which is very exciting! It's for my novella The Ronin and the Fox, which will be published by Storm Moon Press in February. It's the story of a Japanese ronin who finds himself stuck with a mocking, annoying and unbearably hot fox spirit...



In other news, today I'm being interviewed over at It's Raining Men blog, on my favourite writing genres, my relationship with het romance, and the always thorny issue of women writing gay fiction.

Interview extract:

What is your favorite subgenre to write?

At the moment, steampunk, hands down. I always love the steampunk feel and aesthetic, even before I knew there was a name for it – brass, brown, cream, odd machinery, the dusty, untidy, mysterious feel of it, clockwork and airships, elaborate technology that’s not modern… and then I discovered steampunk existed, and I’m very happy playing in that sandbox now. It’s still largely uncharted territory, flexible – the possibilities are endless! For example, I prefer to insert it not in a Victorian city setting, but rather in imaginary worlds, usually mixed with post-apocalyptic elements – say, people living in drought in dusty towns while a powerful minority can afford shiny steam-powered technology.
Post-apocalyptic is another of my favorites. It’s got that dusty, gritty feel again – the urban society that’s collapsed in on itself, the people that have to scrap together new lives in the remains. And since my one true love is mixed genre fiction, in the style of China Miéville’s Weird Fiction and Jonathan Barnes’ ‘The Somnambulist’, I often have post-apocalyptic settings where technology has never progressed past steampunk level, with a sprinkling of fantasy elements, say supernatural creatures or some form of magic. I don’t believe it’s necessary for authors to pick a genre label and stick to the blueprint, nor am I interested in pinpointing a genre in order to enjoy a story as a reader. But then, I always like to be surprised, and I’m always fond of unusual and unpredictable things :).


Read the rest of the interview HERE :)!

3 commenti:

B Snow ha detto...

Buona sera! Very nice interview, and congrats on the books you have out and the ones soon to come.

Have you written your 100 words for today yet? Really, you can probably do it while you're having morning coffee, if you're not one of those people who have to rush around getting dressed while drinking said coffee. :)

B Snow ha detto...

Oh, and btw, LOVE the manga-style art of the ronin and the fox spirit. The story premise sounds wonderful.

Cornelia Grey ha detto...

I did indeed :)! About 1500 words in the last 3 days - nothing of the things I was *actually* supposed to be working on, but... ;)
How about you? What are you writing at the moment?

Posta un commento