febbraio 14, 2012

Guest post on mythology :)

Hello, everyone :)! So, even though it feels like the year began just yesterday, we're already halfway through February. I've completed my degree, and I'm waiting for the results of the final exams to come out - I'm kind of still trying to wrap my mind around that! I'm working as a traslator, working on two novellas and researching before preparing a novel proposal. I should also be looking for an internship, and I'll need to figure out how to cram more work in my days - is there anywhere I can buy extra hours?

In other news, I'm over at Top 2 Bottom Reviews talking about my love for mythology, and how I like to incorporate that in my writing - in particular, how the Japanese mythological creature kitsune features in my upcoming novella, The Ronin and the Fox :).





Here's an excerpt of the post:

Every time I tell someone that I’ve just completed a degree in Creative Writing, they ask if that means I’m a journalist, and the answer is, not even remotely. Journalists deal with the real world, every second. Creative Writing students usually suck at journalism, for a simple reason: we don’t do reality.

Personally, apart from full-on fantasy, I love writing about alternative versions of reality. I love steampunk, post-apocalyptic, and I have a soft spot for magical realism. I love taking the real world and adding a layer of magical dust on top, little surprising things hiding in unexpected corners, eyes peering from under a mushroom, a talking pigeon with a pocket watch… I think that’s why I’m so fond of mythology: it’s the result of men adding that layer of magic and mystery, fear and excitement, to the world they lived in...


Read the rest of the post HERE.

0 commenti:

Posta un commento