dicembre 28, 2013

Here's to a busy 2014!

I can't believe I'm already here writing the 'end of 2013 post', when it feels like just yesterday I was writing the one for 2012! This year has really flown by. (Years speeding by faster and faster are one of the favourite topics of conversation when I hang out with my grandma. It feels like one moment it's July and we're sitting on the balcony enjoying the sun, and the next it's winter and Christmas is already gone and then before we know it we'll be on the balcony again... and let me tell you, I wait all year for those meager three months of sunshine! But I digress...)

So, 2013 was definitely packed. I started my Phd in February, went on my graduation trip to Japan in April, moved back to Italy, bounced back and forth from London a few times, saw Spain and Tangiers... did A LOT of research, translated a bunch of books, applied for dozens of jobs, took care of grandma when she was unwell over the summer. I also had to handle the most toxic familiar situation we had since my dad's death almost ten years ago (luckily, even though the issue is not solved yet, things are looking up now). I did really have my plate full. According to my logs, I even managed to write almost 200.000 words.

And yet, somehow - as always - I find myself feeling vaguely unsatisfied, like I haven't accomplished everything I was hoping to last year at this time. Of those 200k words, only around 30k ever made it into the publisher's hands (and, subsequently, the readers'!), and I'm not really sure what I did with all the others! Real life got in the way (and I have to say, being back in Italy really doesn't help, since at least when I'm abroad I can drop family drama and take care of my life and my work) and things got messy, and my best laid plans got thwarted.

So I'd like to write down a few bullet points for 2014, because I like having things pinned down and I hope it will help me structure my time and my work a little better!


★ ★ 2014 to-do list ★ ★


January
★ edit and submit bonus Benjamin Pepperwhistle scene
★ revise and submit Circus of the Damned novel
★ revise outline of PhD novel + write 1 chapter
★ finish translating 1 book
★ read at least 1 book for research
★ write 1 blog post
★ apply for more jobs (;__;)
(starting out with a packed month, eh? I'm kind of already freaking out)

February
★ finish and submit Bounty Hunter III
★ start writing Steampunk Inventor novel (or novella?)
★ read at least 2 books for research
★ write 1 chapter of PhD novel
★ write 1 blog post
(hopefully I will have a job by then so... doing that! :P)

March
★ finish Steampunk Inventor
★ (maybe) line edits for Circus of the Damned?
★ write 2 chapters of PhD novel
★ read at least 2 books for research
★ write 1 blog post

April
★ revise and submit Steampunk Inventor
★ line edits for Circus of the Damned
★ write 1 chapter of PhD novel
★ read at least 1 book for research
★ write 1 blog post

Things are a little more vague after that. I want to really try and blog at least once a month, since I suck at that; there will be line edits for Steampunk Inventor in May/June; I'd like to finish the PhD novel by September, even though I'm not so confident about that; I'd also like to write at least two more stories, but that will depend on whether I come up with any cool ideas in a timely fashion... ;)

Anyway, I'll update with the plans for the following months as they take shape, and I'll update every month letting you know whether I managed to get everything done (feel free to scold and whip me if I don't!). And now... now I'll be a good girl and go to sleep since it's almost half past 2 in the morning and tomorrow morning I gotta head to Genoa  to celebrate my mom's 50th birthday ♥!

Big hugs everyone, and good luck with your New Year's resolutions :)!

0 commenti:

Posta un commento